Sunday, April 29, 2012

How The Cakes Began

I've always enjoyed baking.  Chocolate Chip Cookies were sort of a specialty of mine.  Then I got into cakes a little bit.

Having children opened up a whole new world of cakes to me.  For my son's fourth birthday he requested a McQueen cake.  I really didn't think I could do it, and I know from google searches that there are many people who have done better.  However, on his birthday, when my little man looked at his cake and excitedly shouted, "McQueen!", I was completely satisfied.

So, here for all to see is, is my first decorative cake and the process that made it happen.

I found this picture on the internet to use for direction.

I froze a 9x13 chocolate cake then tried to cut it following the picture above.


The leftover pieces I couldn't bring myself to waste, so I ended up piecing them together and making a separate small cake covered in chocolate icing, but I only have this picture of the pieces.


We were in Russia, so I didn't have any of the wonderful Wilton tools or anything, and this was my first decorative cake, so it was a bit messy.  I also had to call in a favor for extra red food coloring from my dear friend, and thankfully she had some, so McQueen was red after all!


I couldn't figure out how to do the lightning bolt at the time, but I think I could figure that out now.



So, this is the cake that gave me a taste for decorating (no pun intended).  Do you have an idea that you'd like to taste?  Send me an email, and let's get something started!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment, inquiring about a project idea, I should get an email; but you can also email me directly: cristymakesandbakes (at) gmail (dot) com.
Have a grand day!